Today we are going to find out #TenThings about author Val Penny. Val’s debut novel, Hunter’s Chase, is set in Edinburgh and was published by Crooked Cat on 2nd February. You can find more details about that below.
- I have lived in many different places over the years. I was born in California, USA, grew up in Colorado, worked in Virginia then found myself in Scotland when I married a Scot. We now live in SW Scotland which is a beautiful part of the world.
- I love to travel. It is often said I will go anywhere, to the opening of a paper bag, if I learn about it! My favourite destination is always the next one I am visiting, followed closely by the last place I have been.
- I rarely make New Year Resolutions, but this year I made one that I am finding easy to keep. I decided to read more books by authors with whose work I am unfamiliar. So far, I have been delighted by the historical romance, ‘Heart of Stone’ by John Jackson, spooked by the ghost story ‘Woman in Black’ by Susan Hill and intrigued by the psychological thriller, ‘The Silence’ by Katharine Johnson. I am pleased with this resolution.
- The book I am reading at the moment is a biography, ‘Born a Crime’ by Trevor Noah. He is a South African comedian and presenter who grew up during the Apartheid era when inter-racial relationships were illegal. His mother is a black South-African woman: his father a white Swiss man.
- I review almost every book I read because, as an author, I appreciate getting feedback from my readers. I review to Amazon, Goodreads and my own book review site: bookreviewstoday.info
- I write crime fiction and I have always believed that authors should read widely. My favourite crime writers are Mark Billingham, Chris Brookmyre, Peter Robinson and Erin Kelly. I am very fortunate to have had Chris, Peter and Erin guide and mentor me through the early stages of my writing journey.
- My favourite animals are cats. I was given my first cat by my great Auntie Lizzy when I was three years old and have kept cats ever since: not pedigree cats, Heinz 57 variety cats. They have all had different characters and different appearances: I just love cats.
- Imagine my delight when my debut crime thriller novel, ‘Hunter’s Chase’, was accepted for publication by Crooked Cat Books! With my lifelong love of cats it seemed so apt. ‘Hunter’s Chase’ will launch on 02.02.2018. Crooked Cat Books has recently also accepted the sequel in the Edinburgh Mystery Series, ‘Hunter’s Revenge’. It is due for publication in August or September 2018.
- My present work in progress, ‘Hunter’s Revenge’, is at the stage where I am revising the final draft before my publishers assign an editor to this novel. This is certainly keeping me busy.
- I am currently working towards the launch of ‘Hunter’s Chase’. I am planning an online launch to run between noon and 6pm on 02.02.2018. The Edinburgh Bookshop in Bruntsfield is also running a ‘live’ launch for me on 15 February 2018 from 7.30-8.30pm. I hope both will be well attended. ‘Hunter’s Chase’ is available to purchase on Amazon at myBook.to/HuntersChase
Find out more about Val or connect with her using the following links:
Hunter by name – Hunter by nature: DI Hunter Wilson will not rest until Edinburgh is safe.
Detective Inspector Hunter Wilson knows there is a new supply of cocaine flooding his city, and he needs to find the source, but his attention is transferred to murder when a corpse is discovered in the grounds of a golf course.
Shortly after the post-mortem, Hunter witnesses a second murder, but that is not the end of the slaughter. With a young woman’s life also hanging in the balance, the last thing Hunter needs is a new man on his team: Detective Constable Tim Myerscough, the son of his nemesis, the former Chief Constable Sir Peter Myerscough.
Hunter’s perseverance and patience are put to the test time after time in this first novel in The Edinburgh Crime Mysteries series.